Visible Learning Certified School Award
The Visible Learning Certified School award is bestowed by Professor John Hattie, a global authority on education effectiveness whose research consists of the world’s largest evidence on what works best in schools to improve learning. Professor Hattie shared the following insight when conferring the award:
“I know it is a lot of hard work to improve the mind frames of all in the school, turn the school into a learning organisation, and enjoy the fruits of the hard work and expertise. It also takes courage as it is so much easier to tweak the curriculum, alter the structures, etc. but to truly focus on the impact on students is the right work.”John Hattie
Recipients of the award had to provide substantial evidence, over a several year period, that the following characteristics were embedded in the school’s culture.
- Our school’s data and evidence drive practice in our school.
- Our school has embedded a shared language of learning.
- Our school has assessment capable visible learners.
- Our school has well-established processes around analysing student achievement data that focus on progress and achievement.
- Our school (faculty and students) shares achievement data with each other and with the community.
- Our school communicates high expectations to all members of our community.
- Our school has an open and collaborative environment both internally and externally.
- Our school provides quality feedback to both students and faculty.
- Our school provides a variety of teaching, leading, and learning approaches that meet the learning needs of students.
- Our teachers and students have clarity around learning and what success looks like.
- Our school has a focus on learning and progress (as opposed to teaching and achievement).
- Our school has a shared understanding of what progress looks like in core content areas in our school.
- Our learners are able to tell you where they are at in their learning and what their next learning steps are.
- Our school has a clear picture of the quality of practice expected from teaching staff.
- Our school incorporates feedback from students, families, and faculty in their
- planning and review.
As we look ahead, Strathmore Secondary College's steadfast dedication to ongoing improvement across all aspects will persist, nurturing not only the intellectual growth but also the personal excellence of each and every student. This unwavering commitment will continue to shape an environment where our students can truly thrive and reach their full potential.
Yours in celebration,