International Student Opportunities and Support
- Excellent reputation for academic achievement.
- Experienced and personalised care of overseas students.
- One of the most contemporary and well-resourced government schools in Melbourne.
- Beautifully landscaped gardens.
- Location of the Victorian Space Science Education Centre - with links to Universities and Space Educators.
Strathmore Secondary College has been accepting International Students for many years. Students are provided with experienced and personalised care that takes into account their welfare and academic needs.
The College is located in an attractive suburb, only 20 minutes by train from Melbourne’s city centre and 15 minutes by car to Melbourne Airport.
English is the first language for most students; however, several nationalities are represented at the College, contributing to an environment that values diversity.
Uniform is compulsory for Years 7-11. Year 12 students are permitted to wear casual dress as a transition to university and employment.
The College has a reputation for academic excellence. It promotes a friendly, supportive environment and provides for the academic, sporting, cultural, social and personal development of students. 2. Our Academic Success
The College is respected for its academic success. Our International Students have been particularly successful – graduating with outstanding results in the Victorian Certificate of Education. Most of our International Students receive placements at Melbourne, Monash, Latrobe and RMIT Universities.
3. Subject Choice
There is a broad range of subject choice. Subjects popular with International Students include all levels of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Accounting, Economics, Business Management, Geography, Art, Visual Communication, Information Technology, Food Technology, Music, Psychology & Physical Education.
Many International Students also gain extra units for their VCE by studying their home language: Chinese first Language is taught after school through a 3rd party provider, (Chinese Cultural School), and Vietnamese first Language is offered at the Victorian School of Languages on Saturday mornings.
- English as an Additional Language (EAL) Program
- Timetabled Year 10, 11 and 12 classes.
- EAL classes are small – we aim for no more than 16 students.
- We also run Bridging EAL for Year 10 EAL students who require extra support in learning vocabulary for their various academic needs.
- We have our own English Language Centre (SELC) where we run a 20-week Intensive English Language Program (IELP). In 2023 SELC will run Semester One and Semester Two.
- iPads are used as a teaching/learning tool by all teachers and students. iPads are connected to the school wireless network and provide real time access to timetables, school email, classwork, attendance and reports.
- Compass portal that allows onshore and overseas parents access to their child’s timetable, attendance and reports.
- Advanced mathematics classes at all levels.
- Forerunner in the study of Space Science – the location of the Victorian Space Science Education Centre with links to leading Universities and space educators throughout the world.
- Exemplary music program – tuition in over 23 instruments. Orchestras, ensembles, choirs, concerts, school functions.
- Wide range of drama and visual arts activities.
- Sport – one of the most outstanding sports schools in Victoria.
- Fully equipped modern Science laboratories.
- Modern art classrooms, photography facilities, technology rooms and drama/music spaces.
- Year 11 and Year 12 Study Centres – air conditioned and spacious rooms for study.
- Large Library.
- Sport – gymnasium, extensive sports ovals.
- Beautifully landscaped gardens.
- Coordinators and teachers encourage and support our overseas students.
- Homestays with local Australian families (some Chinese and Vietnamese speaking) are carefully chosen and monitored.
- Careers Coordinators trained in advising overseas students on university applications and choices.
7. Rights and Obligations of an International Student in Australia
International education: ensuring quality and protecting students - Australian Government Department of Education and Training (click to open).